A delicious and easy homemade beef stock that will add lots of flavour to your risottos and soups.
- 6 l of cold water
- 1 kg of beef or veal bones
- 300 gr of lean meat in one piece (silverside, chuck, or brisket)
- 300 gr onions
- 200 gr of carrots
- 200 g of celery (with the leaves)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- whole black peppercorns
- First of all, rince the bones under running water to remove any impurities and blood, then put them in a very large, thick casserole (MY FAVOURITE IS LE CREUSET).
- Carefully wash the vegetables. Cut lengthwise in half the carrots. Peel and halve the onion crosswise, and stick the cloves in its flesh. Leave the celery as it is, with all the leaves. Add the vegetables to the pot with the bones.
- Add a the meat of your choice, the bay leaves, and the peppercorns. Cover it all with 6 liters of cold water. If you live in an area with hard water (like I do), I suggest to use bottled water.
- Bring everything to boil at very high heat, then lower the heat to the minimum, cover with a lid, and let simmer for 5 hours.
- Every now and then remove with a ladle the impurities that will raise to the surface.
- Once ready. filter your homemade beef stock with a very fine sieve. If you want to salt it, do it when it’s still boiling hot.
- However, if you want to freeze it, it’s best to not add salt.
Let cool down compeltely your homemade beef stock before pouring it in a glass jar and store it in the fridge,
In the fridge. it will last 3 days.
Store in the freezer in airtight container: the stock will last 5 months.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Stock
- Method: slow cooking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: beef stock, healthy, high protein, homemade, beef, stock, carrots, celery, onions, marrow