8 unexpected benefits of making pasta from scratch
Hi, I’m Silvana, a 4th generation artisan pasta maker from Naples. I have been holding pasta making classes in London since 2014. I want to share with you my knowledge and passion for pasta making and Italian cuisine.
Beyond the scrumptious end product, the art of pasta making offers so much more than meets the eye (and the taste buds!). From fostering mindfulness and boosting creativity, to promoting social connections and even improving our physical well-being, there’s a whole world of unexpected benefits awaiting us as we dive into the wonderful world of pasta making. So join me as we discover 8 unexpected benefits of making pasta from scratch.
“Making pasta from scratch is not only a fun and rewarding experience but it also offer several surprising benefits.”
Growing up in a family of pasta makers, I’ve been immersed in the rich culinary traditions of my homeland for as long as I can remember. Today, I want to share with you the mindful, social, and holistic aspects of pasta making that have been such a significant part of my family’s story. Join me as we discover the 8 unexpected benefits of making pasta from scratch. It will have you reaching for your rolling pin and apron in no time!
- Beyond the scrumptious end product, the art of pasta making offers so much more than meets the eye (and the taste buds!). From fostering mindfulness and boosting creativity, to promoting social connections and even improving our physical well-being, there's a whole world of unexpected benefits awaiting us as we dive into the wonderful world of pasta making. So join me as we discover 8 unexpected benefits of making pasta from scratch.
What are the 8 unexpected benefits of making pasta from scratch?
1. Mindfulness in Pasta Making:
2. The Social Side of Pasta Making
“The repetitive motions of kneading, rolling, and shaping pasta can help you focus on the present moment, allowing your mind to relax and find a sense of calm. This practice of mindfulness can reduce stress and anxiety”
Emily and Harry having a blast making pasta
3. Nutritional benefits of pasta making
4. Environmental benefits of pasta making
5. Cost cutting benefits of pasta making
6. Skill devolpement benefits of pasta making
Diving into the world of pasta making is not just a delightful journey, but it also sharpens your culinary prowess. As you practise and dabble with various techniques, you’ll notice your confidence in the kitchen soar and your range of dishes expand. Before you know it, you’ll be a whiz at pairing flavours as you experiment with infusing your pasta creations.
You’ll find yourself taking extra care with your dishes, knowing the time and effort you’ve invested in crafting them. Trust me, your cooking will level up in no time as your skills continue to improve. And guess what? Your fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination will get a boost too!
7. Health benefits of pasta making
As I knead and shape pasta dough, I can’t help but think of how this wonderful activity engages so many muscle groups in my upper body, including my forearms, biceps, triceps, and shoulder muscles. It reminds me of my pasta maker, Grandma Rosa – bless her. She was a tiny lady, but boy, she was incredibly strong! Even in her 80s, she managed to beat me, a fit teenager, in a game of push. Talk about strength!
Let me share a quick rundown of the key muscles that I feel working during kneading:
- Forearm muscles – They’re in charge of those wrist and finger movements.
- Biceps and triceps – They team up to flex and extend my elbow joint.
- Deltoids – They’re my arm and shoulder joint stabilisers.
- Pectoral muscles – They help with those crucial pushing and pulling motions.
- Latissimus dorsi – They hold my shoulder joint steady and assist with pulling and pushing movements.
- Trapezius – They keep my shoulder blades stable and support my shoulder and neck movements.
- Core muscles – They look after my posture and body stability as I knead.
So, not only do I get to enjoy the process of making delicious pasta, but I also get a workout that contributes to my overall well-being. How brilliant is that?
8. Cultural appreciation benefits of pasta making:
Whipping up traditional Italian pasta from scratch doesn’t just taste fantastic; it also offers a unique opportunity to truly immerse yourself in Italian culture and its rich culinary heritage. Many of the lovely people who join my classes are already smitten with Italy and everything it represents. Spending a couple of hours together, chatting away, asking questions, and even observing me as I prepare a coffee, opens up a fascinating window into lesser-known traditions.
This informal cultural exchange is genuinely enriching for everyone involved – and that includes me! Connecting with these age-old traditions can add a little something special to your life and might even inspire you to delve into the culinary worlds of other cultures. So, why not give it a go? Who knows what delightful discoveries await!
Ready to take your love for pasta to the next level?
Join my pasta making class and learn how to make delicious pasta from scratch with expert guidance and support.
30 Lesser-Known Italian Dishes That You Need To Try Today
The Hidden Gems of Italian Cuisine: Lesser-Known Dishes from Italy's RegionsIf you're a food explorer or a travel enthusiast, Italy is undoubtedly on your bucket list. The country is famous for its delicious cuisine, but beyond the well-known classics like pasta and...
Italian Kitchenware: 5 Of My Best Picks For 2023
Discovering the perfect Italian kitchenware can be a challenge with so many options out there! Join me as we explore top brands and tips to make your cookware choice a breeze. Let's elevate your culinary experience together!Continue Reading: 8min ReadI know how much...
Campania’s Wines: 10 Bottles That’ll Make You Fall in Love
Welcome to a captivating journey through Campania's diverse wine landscape! In this engaging and personal guide, we'll explore the unique terroir, local grape varieties, and a selection of the region's finest wines, handpicked for every occasion. So grab a glass, sit...